When I told a Veteran about the VA National Cemetery, he said that he was going to take a ride out to see the cemetery. The last time I was at the cemetery, I took some pictures
The pictures above are of the Veterans National Cemetery located at 501 Statesville Blvd. Salisbury, NC.
One of the most common things I hear when I talk to Veterans and / or their families is that they never knew what Funeral / Burial and in some cases Monetary Benefits they were entitled to from the Veterans Administration.
Sadly, in these most difficult financial times, some Veterans or their families reluctantly choose a funeral arrangement that they really cannot afford nor what they really desire. Many people will buy cemetery property and all the requirements that go with it knowing the really cannot afford it. Some will choose cremation because they cannot afford to purchase graves, outer interment receptacles, the opening / closing and the headstone / marker.
Hopefully, the following information will explain what benefits the Honorably Discharged Veteran, the Spouse (s) of that Veteran and in some cases a Dependent Child / Children of that Veteran are entitled to.
An Honorably Discharged Veteran, their Spouse (s) and in some cases a Dependent Child (Children) of the Veteran are entitled to the following benefits from a National Cemetery that is under the supervision of the Veterans Administration
- Free Graves for Casketed Remains or Cremated Remains or a Free Niche for cremated remains in the Columbarium
- Free Opening / Closing of Graves /Niches
- Free Outer Interment Receptacle for Casketed Remains
- Free Headstone / Niche Plaque with Inscription ( with words of endearment )
Monetary Benefits will be paid to the survivors of the Veteran if:
1. The Veteran dies in a Veterans Administration Facility such as a VA Hospital or Nursing Home.
2. The Veteran was retired from the Military after 20 Years of Service ( Veteran is receiving a pension) .
3. The Veteran was receiving a monthly (compensation) payment due to an injury suffered or related to Military Service.
These Monetary Benefits will be paid to the survivors / estate of the deceased Veteran even if the disposition takes place in a non VA National Cemetery or Cremation is desired.